Friday, June 3, 2011

# cookies # dessert

Chocolate Chip Cookies

Today my 3 year old daughter had a craving for some cookies. Our conversation went like this:

MJ- I want a cookie.

Me- What kind of cookie do you want?

MJ- I want a cookie that has chocolate in it.

Me- We don't have any of those cookies. We'll have to make them. Do you want to help me make them?

MJ- I want you to make them all by yourself while I watch Strawberry Shortcake.

At first I was appalled that she would think that she could just watch Strawberry Shortcake while I did all the work, baking her the best cookies in the world. At first I didn't want to make them just so I could teacher that it's important to help and work for what you want. But then I thought, "Chocolate chip cookies sound REALLY good right now. And, it's probably better that she stay out of the kitchen anyway."

I ended up making the cookies (mostly for myself, since I ate about 6 of them and my daughter had 1).

Don't worry, we WILL be reading The Little Red Hen at bedtime tonight.



My favorite chocolate chip recipe is one that I found on the back of a BAKER'S chocolate chip bag. I have modified it slightly. I LOVE soft cookies and am not a fan of super crunchy cookies. These are soft with a slight crispiness on the outside. Perfect!

Ingredients:

1 cup butter, softened (not margarine, not crisco. The real deal!)
1/4 cup granulated sugar
3/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar (light brown is best...in everything)
1 package (4 serving size) Jell-O vanilla flavor instant pudding mix (not sugar-free nasty)
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 1/4 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
Semi-sweet Chocolate chips (however much you'd like)

Directions:

HEAT oven to 350 F
CREAM softened butter, sugars, and pudding mix.
ADD eggs and vanilla; beat until fluffy.
ADD flour and baking soda. Mix again.
ADD chocolate chips.
DROP by spoonfuls onto UNGREASED cookie sheet.
BAKE until golden brown. Usually 10-14 minutes depending on your oven.
REMOVE from oven and let cookies cool on the cookie sheet for at least 5 minutes before taking them off. This is a baking tip to keep cookies soft and moist- something to do with the natural steam that gets trapped.

Hope you love!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Follow us @justonemomtrying

Instagram

Follow Us