Tuesday, August 14, 2012

# dating at home # dessert

Fresh Homemade Strawberry Ice Cream

One of my favorite summertime treats is homemade ice cream! I love the way it tastes, the texture, the way it melts, and the memories. As a kid we would have gatherings with my extended family once a month at my great aunt's house behind a grove of orange trees in California. I loved being with family while smelling the sweet orange blossoms, and hearing the motors of the ice cream makers with their constant buzz in the background, ready to surprise us with a treat at any moment. As a kid it seemed like it took forever for the ice cream to be done but it was worth it when the adults would finally give us a paper cup filled with mint, lemon, or fresh banana ice cream. It was heaven! 

Now that I am older and we live far away from California and any extended family, I get to create new memories with my own family. This year I made FRESH HOMEMADE STRAWBERRY ICE CREAM and it was delicious! I just might make it again for Date Night. 





Here's my recipe for Fresh Homemade Strawberry Ice Cream:

Ingredients:
4 c. sugar
2 (14.5 oz) cans evaporated milk
1 tsp. salt
3 quarts half & half
1 pint heavy whipping cream
2 Tbsp. vanilla extract
2 pounds of fresh, washed strawberries, hulled and pureed 
3 bags ice
1 qt. rock salt


Directions:

  • In a medium saucepan, combine sugar, evaporated milk, and salt and heat until luke warm. Pour into large (6 qt.) ice cream freezer container. (I have a 4-qt. freezer and this recipe made 2 batches.)
  • Add the half & half, whipping cream, vanilla, and strawberry puree to freezer container.
  • Freeze in ice cream freezer by surrounding the container with ice until it reaches the top of the container. Generously sprinkle rock salt on the ice. As the ice melts, add more ice and salt. I end up using about 3 bags of ice and 1 quart rock salt for a large freezer. The freezer motor will stop when the ice cream is thick and ready. 
ENJOY!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Follow us @justonemomtrying

Instagram

Follow Us