Monday, January 2, 2012

# birthdays # Christmas

Thank You Notes: Tips for Meaningful Thanks


Writing thank you notes are important when someone has done something nice for you. With Christmas just ending, it is time to bust out the thank you's.

Some pointers for writing thank you notes:
  • Write a thank you note with nice, clean paper and a pen. Use your own handwriting. Send it in the mail, stamp and all.
  • Send it in a timely fashion. Do not procrastinate! It's best to send your note within a week of the event- but better late than never.
  • Be specific in your expression of thanks. (See below)
  • NEVER mention anything that was wrong with the gift, and/or never write anything that would hurt someone's feelings.
Being specific:

If you received a gift, mention the gift and say something nice about it. If you received money or a gift card, tell how you spent it or what you plan to do with it.

Good words to help express your thanks (taken from How to Say It from the Heart by Jack Griffin)

acknowledge
appreciate
commitment
contribution
grateful
gratitude
generous
generosity
heartfelt
invaluable
opportunity
pleasure
priceless
profound
sacrifice
sincere
thoughtful
tremendous
thanks

Words NOT to use (also taken from How to Say It from the Heart by Jack Griffin)

eternally indebted
greatest in the world
have to
how can I ever repay you?
made the effort
must
old college try
shocked
sorry I had to ask
surprised
thanks a bunch
thanks a million
tried your best

Imagine getting a thank you note that reads:

Dear Suzie,
Thanks for the gift you sent. I was surprised when I saw it was from you. I was also shocked to find out that it was broken when it arrived but we put some glue on it and it looks just like new. How can I ever repay you? Thanks a million.

Imagine getting a thank you note that reads:

Dear Suzie,
Thank you for the handmade Christmas gift. You know how much I love ornaments, especially ones from my dear friends. What a thoughtful gift! I love how it sparkles on my tree and I think of you every time I see it.

Which one would you like to receive?

Time to get those notes in the mail asap.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Follow us @justonemomtrying

Instagram

Follow Us